Chapters are the local membership organizations of The Wildlife Society. They generally use a state or province boundary to define their memberships, although more or less than one state or province may be served by a chapter depending upon local membership needs. Student chapters are composed of student and professional members of the Society on college campuses. Chapters establish their own locally-focused objectives and have their own bylaws, officers, committees, and dues structure. All chapter officers must be members of The Wildlife Society and the Western Section, but Society membership is not a prerequisite for chapter membership. There are 8 geographic chapters and 7 student chapters in the Western Section.
- California North Coast Chapter: Del Norte, Humboldt, and Mendocino counties.
- Sacramento/Shasta Chapter: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Tehama, Trinity, Tuolumne, Sutter, San Joaquin, Yolo, and Yuba counties.
- San Francisco Bay Area Chapter: Marin, Sonoma, Mendocino, Lake, Napa, Solano, Contra Costa, Alameda, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Mateo, and San Francisco counties.
- San Joaquin Valley Chapter: Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, San Benito, Stanislaus, and Tulare counties.
- Southern California Chapter: Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, San Diego, Riverside, Imperial, and Ventura counties.
- California Central Coast Chapter: Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey counties.
- Nevada Chapter: State of Nevada and Inyo and Mono counties.
- Hawaii Chapter: State of Hawaii.
- Humboldt State Student Chapter
- UC Davis Student Chapter
- San Francisco State Student Chapter
- UC Santa Barbara Student Chapter
- University of Nevada, Reno Student Chapter
- Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo Student Chapter
- UC Berkeley Student Chapter
Information for Chapters